Monday, 21 March 2016

A to Z Challenge 2016 Theme

I'm going to be back at it for 2016.

2015 ended a bit rough for me. My brother passed after a war with cancer and I didn't return to my blog for some time. No one probably noticed. Long periods often go by on ACD where nothing gets posted.

Theme

As every year before, Warhammer Fantasy Role Play is the theme. Each year had a sub-theme of sorts and this year I think it might have a bit of magical feel. I will visit  each school and color of magic of the Old World.

Is this short fiction?

Sort of.

I often fall back to describing WFRP with the iconic game of Dungeons & Dragons to find a common reference point. Role playing games, RPGs for short, are steeped in friendships—RPGs are foremost social games—creativity, and story telling. Many games set out to provide a setting and allow players to shape that setting in play. Often settings are presented as a fixed point in time with general ideas of world shaping political events, e.g., war (or the threat of war) or a rising evil, and the players interact in this setting changing that fix point in time, for good… mostly.

All of this setting creativity is bound by "system." Being a game and being that its main mechanic is limited only by the imagination of its players, a RPG must apply rules to introduce "friction" to the what might otherwise become who at the table first says, "I am all-powerful! My wish is your command. I am rich, handsome, and loved. I win!" Not only is that the opposite of fun, it is boring. The system is typically adjudicated by a referee, game master, or "dungeon master." The referee frames the stories and plots. So setting and system meets player creativity and impartial, hopefully, judge.

Warhammer Fantasy Role Play is set in a 16th century Germanic-Authurian-Fantasy-Medieval world where magic is mastered by Elves and toyed with by Humans, Dwarves, and evil powers.

We'll take a journey looking at the schools of magic and possibly have a few short stories thrown in to round it all out. Buckle in.

Posted by caffeinated at 7:00 AM in Bohemian Breakfast

[Trackback URL for this entry]

Comment: Deb Hawkins at Mon, 21 Mar 10:25 AM

Interesting! You're the 2nd mmorpg'er on the list so far!

Comment: Tim at Mon, 21 Mar 10:04 PM

@Deb, I'm not quite an "MMORPG" player. But close. D&D is the original RPG, growing out of the 60s and 70s military history games and leading into the "Satanic Panic" of the 80s. RPGs have come a long way since then and some of that movement belongs to the "gamers" today. One can argue almost every MMORPG design and game play can trace its history back to D&D.

Comment: Nilanjana Bose at Fri, 25 Mar 9:46 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope the challenge goes well for you. Best of luck

Nilanjana.
Ninja Minion, A-Z 2016

Comment: J Lenni Dorner at Tue, 29 Mar 12:40 AM

J here, stopping by from the #atozchallenge - where I am part of Arlee Bird's A to Z Ambassador Team.
Excellent choice for an A to Z challenge theme. Good job. My theme is the craft of fiction writing. Tips, lessons, and prompts from various writing reference books. I follow it up with a sample of my work.
Your theme really interests me, as an online gamer of RPGs (chatrooms/ forums). I even have two scenes in my urban fantasy book that are directly related to this, because the MC is RPing in an online chat. I'd love to get your input some time on those. (The scenes are short, I swear.) Everyone I game with knows me in more of a DM role (even when I make freaking alts... smart bastards figure it out). And, you know... they might not be honest with the DM (gee, I wonder why... not like I'd drop a monster on them or... okay, but...), so I'd love a quick feedback from a fellow gamer who isn't in any of my parties, so to speak.
April should be exciting. I'm looking forward to the event. Best of luck to us both on meeting our goals of posting and hopping to other blogs.
My blog has a giveaway. There's a bonus a to z challenge each day to encourage people to visit more stops.
Don't forget to put your A to Z 2016 badge up. See you on Friday!

Comment: J Lenni Dorner at Tue, 29 Mar 12:42 AM

I will throw a dragon at your blog if it just ate my comment. I AM NOT KIDDING!
#GoesToGetDragon #Rolls1d20 #20
Seriously.

Comment: Tim at Tue, 29 Mar 8:26 AM

@J Lenni, no, it did not eat your comment! No dragons! Please.

I know that comment moderation should be off, but in the past there was just too much spam.

Indeed, as one that is "always the GM, never the player" soliciting honesty in feedback often is about developing nefarious means. Many tactics are out there, but my favorite: isolate the players in an email or chatroom or over a beer. Feedback tends to be easier "in private."

Good luck! I'll post the badge as well.

Your comment: